Tagline

Sink your fangs or park your broom; the books are coming alive and I'm buried in them!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Who wants to play freeze tag?

So yesterday I ran around playing freeze tag and a revised version of Marco polo.  It was fun. I wasn't the only adult (there were three of us) but we were definitely outnumbered by the children (there were 5 of them). I realized as we played that not only did we forget how to play (the kids had to school us) but we forgot HOW to play. I haven't had that kind of fun in a long time. Yes, I am very, very sore today but I feel like a little piece of me that has been missing has been found. We get so caught up in every day life and day-to-day chores that we forget to stop and have fun.
Kids today are so wrapped up in video games that when you ask them to play outside they look at you like you just told them the beloved dog died. But not yesterday. My kids forgot all about the video games when the adults said "who wants to play freeze tag?"
As I watched them run around chasing each other (and having to run from them myself), I found a peace inside of me. These were the things we lived for when we were young. The interaction with the neighborhood children and cousins; family. I didn't realize how much I missed this. I thought I already was happy and content. Not completely.
I wish we could have played longer but it started to rain. I did have to be a parent then and say "Hey, time to go inside. It's raining". The kids were sulking (and maybe the adults too) but I learned a very important lesson. Don't stop being a kid because you have them.
Now today I'm feeling the affects of being out of shape.  But it's worth it. To see the smiles on their faces as they chased each other and feeling the smile on my own as I ran screaming from them is priceless. Not that they don't smile on a day to day basis but not like that.
Happy Easter! !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment